As a homeowner you should protect your biggest investment the best you can. You’ll want to make sure you perform proper upkeep on your South Jersey home. This is also a helpful list if you plan on selling. Here are 8 tips that could save you lots of money in the long run.
Upkeep on your South Jersey Home
- Foundational Concerns: Take a look around the entire perimeter of your home. Make sure all of the gutters are in working order draining water away from the foundation. Also check that the ground slopes down so water flows away from the house.
- Smoke Detectors: Check to make sure all of your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors are working properly.
- Roof Checkup: When your roof gets to be ten years old you should have it inspected by a professional. Then perform that same inspection every 3-5 years after.
- Drainage and Water: Check to make sure your gutters and downspouts aren’t clogged. Take a look at them at least twice a year. If there are any leaks in your home get them fixed immediately to avoid extensive water damage and possible mold.
- Chimney: It’s recommended to have your chimney cleaned once a year.
- Plumbing: Try not to use harsh chemicals to unclog your drains. A drain snake is much more effective and eco-friendly. Insulate your pipes so they do not freeze during the winter.
- Termites and Pests: Termites can not survive in the sunlight so they prefer dark places. Check around your basement for any signs of termites such as mud tubes, mounds of drywall termite pellets that look like salt and pepper, and crumbling or damaged wood.
- HVAC Systems: It is a great idea to have your furnace and A/C serviced once a year to keep all systems running smooth. Don’t forget to change your air filters as well.
Or find out your home value here…